Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
More veggies in desserts
Top Review by WonderMima
We liked this a lot. I added the zest, but not the juice, it was still a bit citrussy for me... but it was good. I think the juice would have been over the top for me. I also added raisins. I love the simplicity of this cake, and the lower fat content compared to most recipes which call for a cup of oil.... I also like the use of brown sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded and drained (from 2-3 large carrots)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until smooth. Beat in melted butter, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla, spices and salt. When combined, sift in the flour and baking soda (sifting helps evenly distribute the baking soda) and gently stir it into the batter until no streaks remain. Stir in shredded carrot, then scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake for 36-42 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before frosting.