Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
"The best cake I've ever had" according to my 8-y-o. No fat either (well...except for optional chocolate chips!).
- 4 bananas (organic, which tend t be smaller)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (try turbinado, which has molasses)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (flavored OK)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose OK)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mash bananas; push to side, leaving a space along bowl's side.
- Beat eggs along empty side of bowl, then combine with bananas.
- Stir in sugar, applesauce, vanilla and salt.
- Shake lightly and evenly across surface of batter, the flour and soda; mix just enough to incorporate.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Go easy on chocolate chips because they can overwhelm the cake.
- Pour into greased and floured 7"x11" pyrex glass baking dish (or muffin tins, bundt rounds, etc).
- Bake 40 minutes at 350-degrees (less for muffins, etc.).
- Frosting is unnecessary but cream cheese (8 oz) & butter (4 Tb) with any flavoring (any syrup, orange concentrate) is yummy.