Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I call this potato bake once-a-year because that is how often I am allowed to make it. I banned myself not so long ago because I kept making it and hubby and I would eat the whole thing in one sitting and even though it originally came from a 'low-fat' recipe book, eating 8 serves between us everyday is not good for my waist line. So in summary- This is THE BEST potato bake EVER! I make it for family get togethers, Christmas, birthdays, BBQ's because it is SO quick and SO easy.
- 1 kg potato (peeled)
- cooking spray
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 (30 g) packets cheese sauce (I use 30g Continental 4 cheese sauce mix or whatever you can find)
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly.
- Place 1/2 potato slices in a baking dish that has been coated in cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the grated cheese and 1/2 the parmesan cheese over the potatoes.
- Layer the remaining potatoes on this.
- In a saucepan bring milk to gentle boil and add the sauce sachets and whisk together. Pour over potato.
- Sprinkle remaining cheeses over the dish.
- Cover with foil (spray foil with cooking spray to stop cheese sticking).
- Bake for 1 hour, remove foil and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until potato is cooked.
- If I was going to a party etc where there was an oven available I would cook for 45 minutes at home, leave the foil on whil transporting, and when at the destination I would cook for a further 15 minutes to heat up and soften potatoes, then remove the foil and brown the cheese and serve.
*Reciewed for ZWT5 Aussie NZ trip* Easy and rich. A potato bake for special occassions. Super easy using the packeted sauces....although not gluten-free for my diet. My husband and girls loved it! Photo also being posted
This was very good, lots of cheese with great flavor! I see why you only make it once a year! Made for PAC spring 09.
This was great. I used canned mexican nacho cheese instead of the packets and milk since I had some I wanted to use up. I did need to add some garlic salt & pepper for some kick. With the nacho cheese, it added a bit of spice which was nice. Definitely not for watching your waistline!