Prep 6 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
Found this recipe for an outdoor safety class. Great backback fare for hiking, skiing and camping.
- 1 lb moose, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 large dates
- 2 tablespoons melted suet
- 2 tablespoons melted vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut/the meat into thin slices and dry as for jerky in a slow oven, (175-200 Degrees F.) for 4 to 5 hours.
- Put the dried meat through a coarse grinder, then pulverize it into a fine powder.
- Grind the raisins and dates together and work into the meat with your fingers until thoroughly blended.
- Combine the melted suet, shortening and lemon juice.
- Pour over the meat/fruit until the mixture will hold together.
- Shape into small patties about 3-inches in diameter and 1/2 in thick.
- Keep covered in a cool dry place.