Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simple little lunch. Perfect for the toaster oven.
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- 1 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 basil leaves, julienned
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with non stick spray if needed.
- Place pita bread on baking sheet.
- Divide cheese and basil on the pita.
- arrange the tomato slices around.
- top with the garlic if using
- sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or to desired crispness.
I used this topping on a family pizza using loads of diced up fresh tomatoes. A friend over for dinner said he would have paid good money if he could have ordered it in a cafe - high praise indeed. Nothing can ever be made for one in this household - too many combine harvesters lurking !!!
Love, love, love this simple personal pizza. The flavors are so pure and fresh. This recipe will be repeated many times. I used gluten-free pitas and vegan cheese (Daiya mozzarella) with great success. I'm craving another pizza right now!
I made 3 pieces using wholemeal/wholegrain pita bread, freshly plucked vine ripen tomatoes and fresh sweet basil from the garden and a pizza mix of cheese (mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar of which I sprinkled a little on top of the pizza before scattering the basil and 7 minutes later from a 200C fan forced oven we had a lovely lunch. Thank you Lori Mama, made for Everyday A Holiday.