I recently ate Carne Asada Tacos at On the Border Restaurant and fell in love with them. Their menu description is: Premium, mouthwatering carne asada steak drizzled with Jalapeno Ranch dressing and topped with melted cheese and crispy-fried onion strings, all in grilled flatbread tortillas. I came up with this recipe (with some help from other 'zaars) which I believe is a pretty good copy cat. I used the marinade from recipe 103372 by Sharlene--W and modified the dressing recipe 195520 by --Miss Diggy*--.
- 2 lbs flank steaks or 2 lbs round steaks
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely ground Mexican oregano (optional)
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix (roughly 1/2 of .04 ounce packet)
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno juice, from diced jalapeno peppers can
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
Garnishes for Tacos
- 6 -8 pieces flat bread
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese (or personal favorite)
- 1⁄2 cup French-fried onions
- For carne asada:.
- Marinate meat, then prepare ingredients for dressing, before grilling meat.
- Plan to have flatbread warmed as you are ready to serve meat.
- Marinate steaks in lime juice in a shallow glass dish for 1 minute.
- Next add garlic, crushed red chile, black pepper, and Mexican oregano.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least 20 but no longer than 40 minutes.
- While marinating meat:.
- Combine all ingredients for Jalapeno Ranch Dressing in a 1 cup dish.
- Mix well and refrigerate to let flavors blend.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees (or lowest heat setting).
- Grill meat to desired doneness
- Remove steaks from grill and let "rest" for 5 minutes.
- Before meat is about to be taken off grill or while it is resting, add 1/3-1/2 cup of cheese on each flatbread.
- Lay the cheese covered flatbreads directly onto middle oven rack and warm until cheese is melted.
- Once meat has rested, cut meat against the grain into thin strips.
- On each flatbread add desired amount of meat, 1-2 tablespoons jalapeno ranch dressing and about 1 T french fried onion strings.