1/8 Photos of Omu Rice (Japanese Omelette)
chicken salt's Note:
My mother taught me to make this recipe. It is a popular lunch dish, but is not traditional Japanese cooking. It is easy to make, but you dirty four pans and bowls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Rice and vegetable mixture
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 100 g carrots, chopped in very small pieces
- 100 g red capsicums, chopped in very small pieces (bell pepper)
- 100 g onions, chopped in very small pieces
- 150 g bacon, chopped in small batons
- 50 g tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 teaspoons oil, to cook eggs, using one teaspoon at a time
- 8 teaspoons tomato ketchup, garnish
- 1Prepare the vegetables and bacon. Mix well in a bowl, and set aside.
- 2In another bowl, whisk the eggs well. Add the sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3Heat the first two teaspoons of oil in a deep saucepan, and add the vegetables. Cook for 5-10 minutes (until the vegetables are tender). Add the rice, and stir well.
- 4Add the tomato paste, and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5The next step has a long explanation, but it is not hard. It needs to be repeated for each of the four servings, and takes about 3 minutes each time. The series of photos will give you a good idea of part of the process.
- 6Put one teaspoon of additional oil in a large, heated, non-stick frying pan. Use a brush to spread the oil around the base of the pan. Pour in 1/4 of the egg mixture, and tilt the pan to coat the base. Cook for about 2 minutes. Scrape the egg away from the edges of the pan. Add 1/4 of the rice mixture to one side of the cooked egg. Flip the other side of the egg over the rice mixture. Invert a plate over the pan. Pick the pan up and turn it over, and your omelette is on the plate. Garnish with the tomato ketchup.
- 7Repeat the previous step 3 more times.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Omu Rice (Japanese Omelette)
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.1
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 397.5 mg
- Sodium 683.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 22.8 g