Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Based on a recipe from Soheila Kimberley’s book, Taste of the Middle East.
Make and share this Omm Ali (Egyptian Bread and Butter Pudding) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place phyllo pastry on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
- Remove from oven and raise temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Scald milk and cream by pouring into a pan and raising heat gradually until hot but not boiling.
- Gradually add the beaten egg and rose water.
- Cook over a very low heat, until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Using your hands, crumble the pastry and spread it in layers with the nuts and raisins into the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the nut and pastry base and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with light cream.
Tagged this because it has pistachio nuts & raisins & because it's a bread pudding, although of a different kind than I usually make! A GREAT PUDDING, which I made in an 8-inch square baking dish! Thanks for a very nice threat! [Tagged, made & reviewed for the VIP in this month's Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 15]