Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very simple, very old recipe from my 99 year old German MIL. Delicate. i'm trying to think of how I could flavor this a bit--perhaps just a hint of mace? Or maybe I shouldn't mess with something simple and delectable.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flour
- sugar, in which to roll cookie
- Mix all ingredients with hands.
- Break off enough to make a 1/2 " thick roll about 1 1/2 " long.
- Roll it in sugar.
- Form into rounded "S" shape.
- Bake 400F for 8-10 minutes.
I tried this recipe and it did not work. Insteade of cookies it was on large rectangle in the shape of the pan. I do not recomend this recpe for people.
Though this isn't nearly the same recipe as I make (a cake-y buttermilk cookie), our recipe notes say we can use vanilla (like Grandma) or nutmeg (like her friend Bernice), and I've been toying with the idea of using ground ginger instead. I may try these next time I don't have buttermilk on hand.
I made these as the recipe was written and it was extremely good. Next time I will try them with Mixed Spice added. They are delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.