Recipe by English_Rose
For a traditional British dish, try this recipe for a classic Omelette Arnold Bennett, tastily flavoured with smoked haddock.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces smoked haddock, undyed
- milk, to cover
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slice onion
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice butter
- 2 tablespoons cream, whipped
- 1 -2 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- grilled tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the smoked haddock in a saucepan. Add in enough milk to cover the haddock, together with the bay leaf, onion and parsley.
- Simmer the haddock gently for 3-4 minutes until the flesh is opaque. Remove the haddock and skin and flake it.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based medium frying pan over a moderate heat.
- Pour in the whisked eggs, tilting the pan to spread them evenly.
- Fry the omelette until the top is almost set but still slightly runny. Scatter over the smoked haddock flakes and spoon over the cream. Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill until hot. Finish the omelette off under the grill until brown and bubbling.
- Serve at once with grilled tomatoes, garnished with watercress.