Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 6 eggs, 4 beaten,the yolks of 2 separated from the whites
- 1 package frozen spinach, chopped and thoroughly drained until almost dry
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread, cut into fingers and fried in butter until brown
- Cook the spinach in 2 tbsps of butter until it is reduced to a puree.
- Beat the two egg yolks with the cream and stir them into the spinach with most of the bread crumbs and cheese, reserving about 1 tbsp of each.
- Heat 1 tbsp.
- of the butter in a large skillet or omelet pan.
- Season the four beaten eggs with salt and pepper, and pour half of the egg mixture into the pan.
- Cook until just set, and slide the omelet onto a serving dish.
- Lightly beat the two egg whites, dip the fried bread fingers into the egg white and arrange them around the edge of the omelet.
- Spread the spinach mixture on the center of the omelet.
- Heat another tbsp.
- of butter in the omelet pan and make another thin omelet with the remaining egg mixture.
- Slip this omelet over the filling, moist side uppermost, so that the spinach is completely hidden.
- Melt the remaining butter and sprinkle it on top, then sprinkle on the remaining bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about five minutes, them place the omelet under a preheated broiler for a minute or two to brown the top.