Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a tasty supper omelet that I got from one of my newest cookbooks "Barefoot Contessa At Home". Todd and I love this. In the book she suggests serving it for breakfast, but we do it for supper. Served with a nice green salad, it fits the bill perfectly!
- 1⁄4 lb thick cut back bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced yukon gold potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 5 extra large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped spring onions or 1⁄4 cup leek
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into dice
- 2 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, for on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Melt the butter in an 8 inch oven proof pan.
- Chop the bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until browned.
- Add the onion and potato and cook over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to brown and the potato is tender.
- Add the Jalapeno pepper and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a fork.
- Stir in the spring onions and the diced cheddar.
- Pour over the potato/bacon mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffy and the eggs are almost cooked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar over top and return to the oven for another minute or two until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot from the pan.
I was watching an old episode of Barefoot Contessa on the Tivo one Sunday morning and decided that I had to make this omelet for Hubby and myself. It is so hearty with the potatoes and bacon and cheese. I served it with my Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins for a great late breakfast/early lunch. (It says 2 servings, but I think that it could easily serve 4.)
This was an outstanding omelet. It had just the right combination of cheeses and we loved the addition of the jalapenos and potatoes. Will be making again.