Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a tasty supper omelet that I got from one of my newest cookbooks "Barefoot Contessa At Home". Todd and I love this. In the book she suggests serving it for breakfast, but we do it for supper. Served with a nice green salad, it fits the bill perfectly!
Top Review by Ms B.
I was watching an old episode of Barefoot Contessa on the Tivo one Sunday morning and decided that I had to make this omelet for Hubby and myself. It is so hearty with the potatoes and bacon and cheese. I served it with my recipe #80705 for a great late breakfast/early lunch. (It says 2 servings, but I think that it could easily serve 4.)
- 1⁄4 lb thick cut back bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced yukon gold potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 5 extra large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped spring onions or 1⁄4 cup leek
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into dice
- 2 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, for on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Melt the butter in an 8 inch oven proof pan.
- Chop the bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until browned.
- Add the onion and potato and cook over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to brown and the potato is tender.
- Add the Jalapeno pepper and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a fork.
- Stir in the spring onions and the diced cheddar.
- Pour over the potato/bacon mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffy and the eggs are almost cooked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar over top and return to the oven for another minute or two until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot from the pan.