Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (125 g) can sardines, packed in water,salad oil or olive oil,drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mash sardines and combine with rest of ingredients.
- Serve on non-fat crackers or toasted bagels, or stuffed in celery sticks.
- Or serve on bread as a sandwich, with lettuce and tomato.
- For a sweeter spread, add 2 tbsps.
- pickle relish.
Really yummy. Left the onions out to make it more kid-friendly. Will definitely make again.
I really like this- it tastes very similar (not surprisingly) to tuna salad. It does taste darker, saltier and richer, though. I have never had sardines before, but BF impulse-bought a tin at the store so I figured this would be a pretty safe start. I followed the recipe exactly and served on toasted organic sprouted 8-grain bread. Tasty simple sandwich, with a lovely rich flavor and texture. I topped with paper-thin slices of gouda and toasted to make melts. Very nice. Would make again.