Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I try to create healthy meals that actually taste good. This casserole has 3 heavy-hitters from the omega-3 good fats; salmon, flax, and walnuts. It tastes like crab cakes which I love! I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) canswild-caught pink salmon, drained
- 1⁄4 cup whole ground flax seed meal (I like Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 egg
- 1 large celery rib, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs (I like Ian's brand panko breadcrumbs at Whole Foods)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon and remove any large bones. Mix in the flax meal, walnuts, lemon juice, jalapenos, celery, onion, cardamom, and Lawry's.
- In a little bowl, beat your egg then mix in mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Add mayo mix to the salmon mix and blend well.
- Pour the salmon mix into a lightly greased 8X11 glass baking dish.
- In a medium bowl; mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, paprika, and melted butter then sprinkle over the salmon.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until heated through.
If you're tired of salmon patties, I recommend you try this! We enjoyed this and will have regularly, I am sure. I wasn't really expecting it to remind me as much of crab cakes (which I also love) as it does. I made two intentional changes: left out the cardamom and subbed pecans for the walnuts. I halved this recipe to use 1 can of salmon, so I used just the white of an egg. I accidently left out the flax seed meal and the celery after I had bought both for this, but I will include them next time. I baked in a lightly greased 9 x 5 pan. Thanks for posting.
I added curry powder in place of cardamom and didnt add salt. Didnt have jalapenos.<br/><br/>My review can be summed up in 1 word.........AWESOME!
This is really good. It has a good flavor, is moist, easy and healthy. Everyone liked it. 5 stars from me! Thanks Chef Lee....