Prep 30 mins
Cook 336 hrs
Just in time for the holidays! This makes a nice gift. My sweet mother-in-law has made this every year ever since my husband can remember. This is so good! I finally got her to give up the recipe. Here it is folks.
- 7 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar (a little more than 1/2 cup)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 liter brandy (about 2 1/4 cup)
- nutmeg (optional)
- In a large jar or mixing bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until light in color. The longer the better.
- Slowly add the brandy. Slowly is key, or it will curdle.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape it out as much as possible. Add it at any point to the mixture.
- Let mixture stand about an hour. In that time it will settle.
- Funnel into a pretty bottle (about 750 milliliter) put the whole vanilla bean in the bottle.
- Refrigerate a couple of weeks.
- Shake before serving.
- Put it in a cognac glass. Garnish with nutmeg. I like it without but, some people will want it.