An old family favorite comfort food that's delicious served warm at breakfast, or chilled as a special snack. Delicious! For kids of all ages. ;-) Recipe is just as my mother and German Oma made. Enjoy! Serving Suggestion: Top with butter while warm. Enjoy pudding warm or chilled, sweetened to your taste and with fruit toppings of your choice. Some of our favorite toppings are: cinnamon-sugar, vanilla-sugar, honey, applesauce, fruit cocktail, canned peaches, pears, apricots, or fresh berries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup cream of wheat (measured dry)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons butter
Toppings (choose your favorite)
- 1Using a heavy saucepan so as not to scorch the milk, bring the milk & salt just to a boil.
- 2Gradually stir in the cream of wheat, whisking (Mom used a wooden spoon) until well blended.
- 3Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered, 2 1/2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 4Meanwhile, beat eggs well with a fork in a glass measuring cup.
- 5Add about one tablespoon of thickened hot porridge to the beaten eggs and stir well to combine. Add one more tablespoon of the hot porridge to the egg mixture; stir well.
- 6Gradually add the egg mixture into the pot of hot porridge, stirring well to combine.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- 8Let cool slightly before serving.
- 9Top with butter while warm. Enjoy pudding warm or chilled, sweetened to your taste and with fruit toppings of your choice.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oma's Cream of Wheat Pudding (German Griesbrei)
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 230.2 mg
- Sodium 226.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 17.3 g