Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An old family favorite comfort food that's delicious served warm at breakfast, or chilled as a special snack. Delicious! For kids of all ages. ;-) Recipe is just as my mother and German Oma made. Enjoy! Serving Suggestion: Top with butter while warm. Enjoy pudding warm or chilled, sweetened to your taste and with fruit toppings of your choice. Some of our favorite toppings are: cinnamon-sugar, vanilla-sugar, honey, applesauce, fruit cocktail, canned peaches, pears, apricots, or fresh berries.
- Using a heavy saucepan so as not to scorch the milk, bring the milk & salt just to a boil.
- Gradually stir in the cream of wheat, whisking (Mom used a wooden spoon) until well blended.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered, 2 1/2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs well with a fork in a glass measuring cup.
- Add about one tablespoon of thickened hot porridge to the beaten eggs and stir well to combine. Add one more tablespoon of the hot porridge to the egg mixture; stir well.
- Gradually add the egg mixture into the pot of hot porridge, stirring well to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Top with butter while warm. Enjoy pudding warm or chilled, sweetened to your taste and with fruit toppings of your choice.
Oh YES. I can only give 5 stars?? I ate this all by myself & was a very happy person all day long. It reminds me a bit of dh's Italian childhood recipe of pastina w/eggs & parmesan. Not sure what the lemon juice is for but it all works. It seemed a bit strange adding cinnamon sugar & fruit to an otherwise savory dish but oh my yummmmmmmmm. I will eat this on a regular basis. Made for German Tag Contest 5/12.