This is Boterkoek (Dutch Buttercake) just like my Oma (grandma) used to make. She passed away over a year ago now and I really started to crave it. I hope you like it as much as I did growing up! :)
- In medium bowl, mix together butter, sugar and almond extract.
- Add beaten egg except for 1 teaspoon.
- Sift flour and baking powder, and add to bowl, mixing with wet ingredients.
- Put dough in greased 9 inch pie plate.
- Mix the reserved 1 tsp of beaten egg with 1 tsp of water, and brush over dough.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if desired. (My Oma always used the almonds, it looks pretty and adds a nice touch!).
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until done (firm to the touch).
- This is a dense cake, but should be soft on the inside and hard on the outside, but not too hard!