Prep 1 hr
Cook 17 mins
Add these cookies to your holiday list, or just try them with afternoon tea.
Make and share this Oma's Berliner Kranser (German Butter Knot Cookies) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 hard-boiled egg yolks, pushed through a sieve
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 14 sugar cubes, crushed or 14 sugar
- Beat butter for 30 seconds with a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour.
- Cover and chill dough for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Work with a small amount of dough at a time and keep the remainder chilled until needed.
- Using one tablespoon of dough for each cookie, roll into a 6 inch rope.
- Shape each rope into a wreath, then overlap the dough about 1 inch from the ends.
- Brush with the egg white and then sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden.
- Cool cookies for a minute on the pan and then remove to a wire rack.