Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my Oma (grandmother in German). She was from a town in Austria and I must say one of the best cooks. I have started making some of the recipes she had written down and this soup is by far one of my family's favorite memories of her and her best cooking. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1⁄2 cup string bean, cut up
- 1 large potato, cut up
- 2 cups leftover smoked ham or 2 cups roast beef or 2 cups cooked sausage or 2 cups smoked pork butt, cut up into 1/2 inch cubes
- In a soup pot, boil the barley in 2 quarts of soup stock, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cook vegetable in separate pot to your own satisfaction (hard or soft).
- Then put them into the barley soup. If soup becomes too thick, add water.
- Leftover beef, smoked Ham or sausage (smoked butt is the best) can be cut up into small pieces and added to the soup before serving.
- **I like to simmer on low for a couple hours and continue to stir it.