Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
Adapted from ''A Taste of Oman,'' by Marcia Stegath Dorr.
Make and share this Omani-Style Lamb recipe from Food.com.
- 7 lbs lamb (1/2 baby lamb of about 7 lbs, cut in 7 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons cloves
- 2 tablespoons cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs pitted dates, soaked in 2 cups water overnight, then mashed by hand (or in a food processor)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- Rub lamb with spices. Set aside for an hour or so.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a lidded kettle large enough to hold lamb in 2 layers. In batches, brown lamb on all sides.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Add dates, lemon juice, vinegar and salt and reduce by half. Arrange lamb pieces in 2 layers. Set lid ajar slightly and braise lamb over a medium-low flame for about an hour, turning meat from time to time while stirring date mixture to prevent scorching. (Add water as needed.) Cook until lamb is tender, testing it with a fork.
- The lamb is ready when it begins to fall from the bone.