Adapted from ''A Taste of Oman,'' by Marcia Stegath Dorr.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 lbs lamb (1/2 baby lamb of about 7 lbs, cut in 7 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons cloves
- 2 tablespoons cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs pitted dates, soaked in 2 cups water overnight, then mashed by hand (or in a food processor)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1Rub lamb with spices. Set aside for an hour or so.
- 2Heat oil over medium heat in a lidded kettle large enough to hold lamb in 2 layers. In batches, brown lamb on all sides.
- 3Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Add dates, lemon juice, vinegar and salt and reduce by half. Arrange lamb pieces in 2 layers. Set lid ajar slightly and braise lamb over a medium-low flame for about an hour, turning meat from time to time while stirring date mixture to prevent scorching. (Add water as needed.) Cook until lamb is tender, testing it with a fork.
- 4The lamb is ready when it begins to fall from the bone.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Omani-Style Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2363.9
- Calories from Fat 1222
- Total Fat 135.8 g
- Saturated Fat 40.0 g
- Cholesterol 420.0 mg
- Sodium 1497.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 144.7 g
- Protein 118.6 g