Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are the traditional spices used in stews, soups, rice, etc. made in Oman.
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 -3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional-will add a yellow color to food)
- Mix all together and store in a jar with lid.
- Use in meat and vegetable stews.
- May also add to rice dishes, soups, lentil and bean dishes.
Even though I've seen these spices in other cuisines, for some reason they are absolutely delicious in this combination and proportion. I used it to season cauliflower and sweet potato chunks I was roasting. I stirred it into some rice also. Then I stirred it all together.
I have no reference for comparing this mixture to other recipes, but it worked out really well in this main dish: Chicken Kabouli (Muscat Style). There's a little bit left and I will try it on roasted cauliflower in the next few days. Reviewed for NA*ME Explores Oman.
This mix is on a website proclaiming to be an "Omani Kitchen", so it appears to be authentic. This was much milder than I expected; perhaps I need fresh spices. I used this in Chicken Kabouli (Interior Style).