From: Faiza Ali's Kitchen. The recipe sounds yummy but it gave no times so take the ones showing with a with leeway in either direction.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg lamb, legs pieces with bones
- 9 cups water (2 1/4 liters)
- 3 small cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 cup water (125 ml)
- 3 medium onions (or 375 grams- sliced)
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 (400 g) can canned chick-peas
- 4 tablespoons omani spices
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 1/2 cup rose water
- 3 bouillon cubes, mutton (if you have lamb stock or chicken stock use 3 cups as part of the above water)
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice, rice-washed and drained (500 grams)
- 1To make the Omani spice paste:.
- 2Combine all ingredients in an electric food processor and process until a thick paste is formed, adding more vinegar if necessary. Keep aside.
- 3Put lamb pieces and water in a large pot, bring to boil and remove froth as it appears. Add the cinnamon sticks, and all whole spices. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1½ hours or until the meat becomes tender. Remove lamb pieces, put them in a bowl and set aside. Drain the stock and set aside.
- 4Cook the extra water and onion in a large sauce pan with occasional stirring for 5 minutes or until water is steamed and the onions become tender.
- 5Add 2 tablespoons of the ghee (reserve 2 tablespoons) and stir for another 3 minutes or until onions become golden in color. Add garlic, raisins, chickpeas, 1 tablespoon of Omani mixed spices (reserve 3 tablespoons), saffron strands and rose water, stir for 1 minutes then set aside.
- 6In a large pot put 4½ cups of drained stock; add more water if stock is not enough. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee, the remaining 3 tablespoons of Omani mixed spices, the Bouillon cubes and rice.
- 7Bring to boil with occasional stirring, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is half cooked, add the boiled lamb pieces on top of the rice, cover and cook on low heat again for another 10-15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- 8Serve the rice and lamb in plate topped with the onion mixture.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Omani Lamb Kabouli
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 595.8
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 82.5 mg
- Sodium 447.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods