Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This recipe was requested by a reader from Australian Gourmet Traveller. This is a wonderful flavour. It can be made with vegetables only for a vegetarian version. Remove seeds from chillis if you dont want too much bite.
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cardamom pods
- 8 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 kg fish, cut into bite-size pieces
- sea salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Process onion, chilies, ginger and garlic to a paste.
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry paste until fragrant. Add dried spices and cook further 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, sugar and 1/2 cup water and simmer 30 minutes.
- You can prepare this far and add fish at the last minute and/or steamed vegetables.
- Add fish, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes until fish cooked.
- Lastly add lime juice and season with salt.