1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A yummy chicken and rice dish that I modified to my families taste by combining two Omani recipes found online plus my own taste. Chicken Kabouli (Al-Batena Style) & http://therecipegroup.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/omani-chicken-kabuli-rice. Traditionally ginger is added (I blame Indian influence), we don't tend to enjoy ginger in savory dishes so I omitted it. You may add some if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 whole chicken legs (that means with the thigh)
- 3 cups white basmati rice
- 3 sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pod, bruised
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 whole dried limes (loomi, peirced with a skewer in a few places)
- 1 tablespoon baharat spice mix (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- light tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup golden raisin, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup blanched whole almond
- 3 pinches dried lime powder (loomi in Middle Eastern shops usually found whole but > Loomi Powder (Noomi Basara, Dried Lime, Black Lemon, Loomi Aswad)
- sea salt, to taste
- cilantro leaf, to garnish (optional)
- 1Wash white basmati rice and soak 10 to more minutes depending on quality of rice.
- 2Wash whole chicken legs keeping the skin on. Add to pot.
- 3Cover chicken pieces with water and bring to the boil skimming off the scum.
- 4Add whole spices including loomi as well as sea salt and boil for a further 40 minutes.
- 5Drain the chicken pieces keeping the chicken stock and shallow fry in a bit of light tasting extra virgin olive oil until golden brown.
- 6Fry sliced onion in the same oil until golden brown then remove half of them and keep aside for garnishing.
- 7To the remaining onions in the pan, add tomato paste and baharat spice mix then add 6 cups of the chicken stock after straining. To that add the drained rice.
- 8Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover for 10-20 minutes depending on amount, quality and quantity. (If it's a cheaper rice it will become softer faster so do 10 minutes and take off the heat 1 minute then check if done).
- 9Drain raisins then add to a pan with a bit of oil and fry along with the almonds until toasted. Then add garnish onions & loomi powder.
- 10Put the rice on a plate and arrange chicken pieces on top, garnish with raisins, almonds and onion mixture and a few cilantro leaves if wished.
- 11I serve it with a raita (yogurt salad) or daqoos (Gulf Arabian tomato sauce).
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Omani Chicken Kabuli Rice
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.0
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 227.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods
baharat spice mix
dried lime powder