- 1⁄2 lb pumpernickel bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄4 cups beer (Danish preferred)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon (1-inch piece)
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind of, grated
- fresh lemon juice
- whipped cream (or sour cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- Break bread into pieces and soak in water.
- Cook, stirring, until it becomes a thick, smooth mush.
- Add beer, sugar, cinnamon, lemon rind, salt and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- If soup is too thick, add a little water.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Top with whipped cream.