Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a Rustic recipe that I derived from an old New York Times cookbook. It's very simple and quite good with rice pilaf.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- flour (for dredging)
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 small white pearl onions, whole (from the jar is best)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Dredge meat in flour, salt, and pepper.
- In dutch oven, heat oil.
- Add meat, brown all sides.
- Add onions, garlic (brown lightly).
- Sprinkle in thyme.
- Add stock.
- Cover, bake 90 minutes.
- Add olives, parsley.
- Cook until tender (about 30 minutes more).
- Blend butter with flour in a small dish.
- Add gradually to meat and stir constantly until thickened.
- Season more to taste.