Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthy bread recipe good for sandwiches and stuffing base.
Make and share this Olive Tomato Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup olive juice, from a bottle kalamata olives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sliced kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch thyme
- 4 cups whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 4 cups unbleached white flour, unsifted
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rise yeast
- 1 egg white
- Combine extra virgin olive oil, half of the chopped sun dried tomatoes, the thyme, and the crushed garlic in a food processor.
- Mix yeast and 1/4 C 105-115 degree water and set aside.
- In one large bowl, combine whole wheat and white flour.
- In a second large bowl, combine the olive oil mixture, the beaten egg, the 2 1/4 C warm water, the Katamala olive juice, salt, olives, tomatoes, and prepared yeast.
- Mix the flour into the oil mixture. Add more flour if the dough is still too moist.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise for one hour.
- Roll the dough out onto a cutting board and punch down before cutting into eight pieces.
- Shape the pieces into rolls and place on two greased cookie sheets. Cut the tops of the rolls with a knife, and cover with damp cloths for another hour.
- Brush the rolls with the egg whites and bake in a 400 degree oven for twenty minutes.
Oh, yes, these are some of the tastiest rolls I've ever made, ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! We really enjoyed the combined flours here, as well as the use of the Kalamata olives & sun-dried tomatoes ~ A REALLY GREAT TASTE COMBO, & the recipe is definitely a keeper for me! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]