Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the secret of a great Muffuletta. It is always BEST if you make it 1 day to 1 week ahead of use. Giardiniera, a relish of pickled veggies in vinegar onions, celery, zucchini, carrots and cauliflower is traditionally used and can be added. I do not generally have that around the house, so I use this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 3 large pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, chopped (if you only have stalks, slice VERY thinly)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (If fresh, 2 tbs)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Some people cut everything by hand very carefully.
- I am more likely to use a food processor, being careful not to process to much. Keeping it course is a good idea.
- Let the flavors marry for at least 24 hours. A full week will give you a richer flavor.