Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
A few years ago I tasted the olive salad on the Muffuletta in N'awlins and I knew I had to learn to make it. After many trials and errors I think maybe this one is pretty close.We eat it on and with just about anything.
- 2 cups pitted pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 cups large pitted kalamata olives
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup pickled cauliflower, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped mild pepperoncini pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinated cocktail onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil (app)
- Whisk together reserved olive brine, oregano,pepper and vinegar until well combined. Whisk in olive oil in a slow steady steam.
- Chop first seven ingredients. Look at my picture to give you an idea of the appearance. Blend all ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and refrigerate at least 24 hours to allow the flavours to blend. Seal in jars.
- Keep in refrigerator.
- I use my processor on the Pulse Mode to chop my ingredients; be careful not to pulverize them; you have to be able to see what you are enjoying.
- Cooking time means refrigerator time.
- I'm sure folks from that area might find my recipe strange but I tried to bring back that special taste here @ home.
Awesome olive salad! I scaled this back to .25 and found that it was very easy to make - the toughest part was waiting for the flavors to mingle, but I'm sure glad I did! I was running low on kalamata olives so reduced them and used more green olives to make up for it. Since I made just enough to eat within a week or so, I didn't seal this in jars, just put it in a container with a tight fitting lid. I served with Lime and Chili Pita Chips and they were a wonderful combination. Wouldn't change a thing! Made for ZWT4.