Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Even people that don't like spinach will like these gems. Lovely hors d'oevre or side dish. Try serving these at your next brunch
- 24 large mushrooms, stems removed and stems chopped,set aside
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Butter a cookie sheet with 1 tbsp butter and place mushroom caps, face up on it.
- In a large skillet heat butter and allow to melt.
- Add Onions and thyme.
- When onions begin to brown add chopped mushroom stems, spinach and bread crumbs.
- Continue to cook on medium to high heat until tender and moisture has evaporated approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat add parmesan, salt& pepper, stir well.
- Stuff each mushroom with filling, use all the filling.
- Sprinkle remaining butter over the caps.
- Bake 375F degrees oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Eat your heart out Barnacle Bill!
This recipe combines two of my most favorite ingredients--mushrooms & spinach. I used a box of frozen spinach (thawed & squeezed very dry), and it worked very well. I sorted & cleaned the mushrooms, and made the stuffing the day before I planned to make them, which made the preparation on the day of my party very easy. Everything turned out just fine. These were soooo good at my Christmas party--my guests were lucky to get any!
I made these for New Year's Eve and they came out great! Since mushrooms are basically bland, especially compared to the delicious filling, I rubbed the bottoms with a little salt for more flavor. We always have fresh Parmegiano Reggiano in the house, so I used that; it's so much better than domestic parmesan! The filling is so good that I'm also going to use it in other dishes. Thanks for a great recipe, Bergy! `
Outstanding! I halved it as a side dish for four and it was a big success. I followed the recipe as written without any modifications except that I did make them ahead of time and refrigerated them until 20 minutes before and then baked them as indicated. This will be on my keeper list. Many thanks!