Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Aglaia Kremezi. This oil is lovely drizzled on tomato salads and steamed or grilled vegetables. It is particularly good with steamed cauliflower and broccoli. 1 week standing time.
- 4 anchovies packed in oil
- 1 fresh chili pepper, smashed lightly with back of knife
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Drain the anchovies and pat dry with paper towels.
- Chop 1 of the anchovies and place in a clean and absolutely dry 2-cup bottle.
- Add the whole anchovies and the chili pepper.
- Fill the bottle with olive oil, cover, and let stand in a dark place for a week, shaking from time to time, before using.
- This oil will keep for 3-6 months, stored in a cool, dark place.
This makes a powerful bottle of oil to enliven fresh vegetables of all kinds. I used it on some sweet ripe tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. I'm dreaming of making a pizza and drizzling this oil on top to fool the anchovy haters. I'll bet they lick their lips and ask for more. Great recipe Evelyn, as always.
Made this up today, and tested it out already on a slice of baquette... mmm can't wait to use it on some vege's. I did not use EVVO since I like the full flavor of the regular olive oil, but the anchovy flavor with the pepper have already started infusing into the oil. Will use this recipe again it is soooo darned easy.