Recipe by Devonviolet
I have been looking for a healthy "Mayo" recipe for a while now, and finally decided to try one, that I had found. It was a dismal failure. I think adding the mustard and lemon juice, at the beginning, may have caused the egg to curdle, and it never thickened. So, I tried mixing the egg and slowly drizzled oil mixture, first, and then the lemon, salt and mustard. Voila! Success! I used Brown Mustard with Horseradish, because that is what I had in the house. But, I think you could use Dijon or even yellow mustard, with excellent results. I mixed Olive Oil and Safflower Oil, because I had seen that Olive Oil, by it's self, it really strong. But, you can use any oil or combination of oils. I hope my recipe is what you are looking for, and that you enjoy it, as much as my hubby and I do.
Top Review by Likkel
Great mayo! The instructions were some of the best that I've read and it turned out to be a fool proof recipe! I did chill my oil before adding it, simply because my grandmother always said that I would have better luck if I did so, but now I don't know if it would have turned out differently had I not. Thanks for a great recipe and clear directions!
- 1 large egg, must be room temp
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (Extra Virgin)
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (Bottled Juice works)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the egg in a food processor, or blender, and turn it on.
- Slowly drizzle oil mixture, until all added. The mayo will thicken, as more oil is added.
- Add mustard, salt and lemon juice.
- Pulse the food processor, or blender, until all ingredients are well blended.
- Scoop into a glass jar, and store in refrigerator. This will stay fresh for up to ten days.