Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Use extra-virgin olive oil, preferably one that is labeled “first cold press”. Serve with eggs, frittata, or pasta.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semolina (white) or 1⁄2 cup cornmeal (white)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray muffin tin indentations and rims with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, semolina, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until uniform; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and Marsala until smooth; whisk in the olive oil and lemon zest; stir into the prepared flour mixture using a wooden spoon until moistened.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins ¾ full; bake 20 minutes or until the muffins are lightly browned with rounded, lightly cracked tops; a pick should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Place pan on a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes; gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove it from the tin.
- Cool muffins 5 minutes on the rack before serving.
- *Herbed Goat Cheese Olive Oil Muffins: crumble ½ cup herbed goat cheese into the batter just before adding the prepared flour mixture; proceed as directed.
- *Olive Rosemary Muffins: mix ½ cup chopped pitted green or black olives and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary into the batter just before adding the prepared flour mixture; proceed as directed.
- *Pesto Muffins: mix ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil, 1 clove minced fresh garlic, and 2 tablespoons chopped pine nuts into the batter just before adding the prepared flour mixture; proceed as directed.
- *Sun-Dried Tomato Olive Oil Muffins: mix 1/3 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped, into the batter just before adding the prepared flour mixture; proceed as directed.