Recipe by dojemi
I just received this recipe in an email. I know what you're thinking because I did too...... one cup of olive oil? Being a lover of cornbread of any kind...and Ameretto : ) ...I just had to save the recipe to give it a try someday. To quote the description they gave......."This delicious cake has a hint of orange and a slightly crunchy texture from cornmeal, is moist without being greasy...". Cook time is 40-50 minutes.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur, such as Disaronno
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- powdered sugar, for garnishing cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in middle.
- Coat 13-by-9-inch baking dish or 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil and flour; tap out excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until well blended and light in color.
- Add milk, olive oil, amaretto, and orange zest and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just blended. Batter will be slightly lumpy; do not overmix.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish or pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with only a few crumbs remaining, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Run a knife around perimeter of the pan and invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar.