Recipe by Chef Wahoo
This is my own creation on garlic bread because I was tired of recipe's that had too much butter on them and were not quite as healthy. With the seasonings and Parmesan cheese you don't even miss the butter and in fact, I have people rave about this bread all the time! In a pinch I will use the Pepperidge farm "Hot N Crusty Bread" but prefer to get straight from a bakery fresh bread either French baguette or a Rustic Italian.
Top Review by GaylaJ
Very enjoyable garlic bread. I used Italian bread and rubbed the minced garlic on with my hands after adding the olive oil, then sprinkled on everything else. Hope you don't mind, but I just eyeballed most of the ingredients--I did use all of the ingredients listed and tried to stay true to the proportions, but was in a hurry and just didn't fancy pulling out measuring spoons. :) I don't know that I'd personally call this recipe "low-fat", but certainly consider it "healthier-fat". I make garlic bread often with olive oil, and this is a nicely-seasoned one. Thanks for posting!
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (Lowfat if that's your desire)
Directions See How It's Made
- Split loaf lengthwise with a serrated knife AND PREHEAT OVEN to 425 degrees.
- Brush both halves with olive oil till well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the seasonings.
- Spread 1 tsp of minced garlic per half of loaf.
- Finally sprinkle both halves with Parmesan and bake for 10-15 minutes until bread is fragrant and the edges are starting to lightly brown.
- Cool slightly, Cut and serve! Bon Appetito.