Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love this, love this, love this recipe! Sent to me - from the Food & Drink weekly guide by the Tribune.
- 177.44 ml olive oil, divided
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 59.14 ml garlic, chopped
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 946.36 ml olives in brine (green or black)
- 29.58-59.16 ml water (optional)
- In a medium saute pan, heat one-fourth cup of oil and sauté the onion and garlic till golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cumin. Beat in the eggs and onion and garlic mixture with a fork. Stir in the olives and add water, as needed, if the mixture seems too thick.
- Heat one-fourth cup of the remaining oil in the pan and use a small cup or soup ladle to form 3 to 4 latkes. Fry on both sides till golden. Repeat until all the batter is used, adding additional oil as needed for frying. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with thick yogurt or sour cream.