Recipe by Buster's friend
Love this, love this, love this recipe! Sent to me - from the Food & Drink weekly guide by the Tribune.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups olives in brine (green or black)
- 2 -4 tablespoons water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saute pan, heat one-fourth cup of oil and sauté the onion and garlic till golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cumin. Beat in the eggs and onion and garlic mixture with a fork. Stir in the olives and add water, as needed, if the mixture seems too thick.
- Heat one-fourth cup of the remaining oil in the pan and use a small cup or soup ladle to form 3 to 4 latkes. Fry on both sides till golden. Repeat until all the batter is used, adding additional oil as needed for frying. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with thick yogurt or sour cream.