3 hrs 30 mins
SuperChef #1's Note:
An earthy bread. Makes 2 loaves (12 slices each).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water, 105 to 115 degrees
- 1 1/4 ounces active dry yeast
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1 -2 salt, depending on saltiness olives
- 1/3 cup black olives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Combine sugar and warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top; stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour and salt. Beat with a wooden spoon about 3 minutes. Gradually beat in more flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to make a stiff dough.
- 3Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- 4Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to coat. Cover with clean towel. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Meanwhile, combine olives, lemon rind, oregano, thyme and olive oil in small bowl. Let stand at room temperature while dough rises.
- 6Punch dough down. Turn out onto work surface. Divide in half. Flatten each half. Spread olive mixture over each, dividing evenly. Working with one half at a time, press olive mixture into dough; fold over and knead a few times to distribute evenly. Form into round or oval loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover with clean towel. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to hot (400°F).
- 8Bake in preheated hot oven (400°F) for 30 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped with fingers. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive-Herb Bread
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.4
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: