1/1 Photo of Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
Karen Anne Newton RN's Note:
This is The Olive Garden's recipe, from their cookbook. It is not a copycat. It has been cut down to make a more reasonable size. I have made this for several years, and everyone who has tasted it, loves it. It is a hearty meal in itself, or it can be served with salad and bread. This is especially good on a cold winter night ! ***I have edited the cooking order to make the preparation time shorter.***
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups water
- 7 chicken bouillon cubes (not granules)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and sliced (Or cubed. About 3 large)
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh kale, torn in small pieces (or 16 oz. bag of prewashed and cut Kale. Discard stems)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons oscar meyer bacon bits
- 1In a large stockpot, put water, bouillon, salt, red pepper flakes, garlic, and potatoes. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 2Sauté the sausage and onion in a skillet, until the sausage is brown, then add it to the stockpot, along with the Kale. Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, or until Kale and potatoes are tender.
- 3Add the cream and bacon bits, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 5I use 10 medium size potatoes.
- 6Half and Half can be substituted for the heavy cream if desired.
- 7Kale can be found in the produce department of most grocery stores.
- 8The soup at The Olive Garden is not thick. If you wish yours to be more like a cream soup, simply simmer it longer, and mash some of the potatoes in the pot with a wooden spoon, and stir frequently until of the desired consistency.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.8
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 1283.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: