Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tried a few different recipes but finally tweaked one into what I think is perfection! It's also lower fat than most of the others!
- 4 red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes, dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth, reduced fat
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat Italian sausage
- 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped small
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- Cut potatoes into quarters, then slice each piece into quarter inch pieces.
- Combine first 5 ingredients into a large pot and simmer over medium heat until potatoes begin to break up (15-20 minutes).
- While other ingredients simmer, cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crumbled. Remove from pan and place on a plate that has been covered in 3-4 papertowels (to further drain the fat).
- In the same skillet, saute bacon until crisp.
- When potatoes are done, add sausage and bacon to the pot. Simmer 10 more minutes.
- Add kale and evaporated milk. Simmer for 5-10 more minutes and then enjoy!
This is yummy and easy-to-make soup! I used regular precooked bacon, otherwise made as directed. This soup is really good for as low fat as it is. We served this with some garlic bread and really enjoyed - thanks for posting your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009