Recipe by #1 Baker
Serve with your favorite mashed potato recipe.
Top Review by thebestcooking
This is definitely a superior recipe than Olive Garden's. I almost followed the recipe exactly except that I noticed prior to preparing the ingredients there was no thickener in the sauce portion of the ingredients list. The absence of a thickener for the sauce undoubtedly will result in a runny watery sauce. I mixed 4 tablespoons of cooking Marsala wine into a heaping tablespoon of starch, cut the heat from the simmering sauce and allow to cool down about 1-2 minutes and add the starch mix to the sauce while stirring. The recipe is now perfected!
- 118.29 ml smoked provolone cheese
- 226.79 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml fresh garlic, minced
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml sun-dried tomatoes, flakes if in oil drain first
- 78.07 ml sour cream
- 2.46 ml salt and pepper
- 907.18 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 113.39 g cooking oil
- 473.18 ml flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1419.54 ml button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 680.38 g marsala wine or 680.38 g beef broth
- 226.79 g heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stuffing:Combine all cheese stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
- Chicken:Butterfly thickest section to create two lobes.Place pounded chicken breasts on a plate and place desired amount of stuffing on one half of chicken breast.
- Gently press stuffing down and fold over other side of chicken breast. Preheat a large sauté pan on stove top. Add 4 oz. oil; heat oil until shimmering.
- Place approximately 2 cups flour in a pan and season it to taste with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess flour. Place stuffed chicken breasts in sauté pan with the preheated oil.
- Cook each side until golden. When chicken is seared on both sides remove them from sauté pan and place them in a baking pan and into the oven for 10-20 minutes.
- Bake until juices run clear and stuffing and center reach a temperature of at least 165°.
- Sauce: Add the onions to the sauté pan. Stir with spatula. After 2 minutes add the mushrooms; sauté mixture until onions are translucent. Deglaze sauté pan with the marsala wine (make sure to incorporate particles from bottom of pan). Bring wine to a simmer and add heavy cream. Simmer sauce on low heat until reduced by half.
- Place cooked chicken breast on a plate and top with onions, mushrooms and sauce.