Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a copycat recipe for Olive Garden's Steak Toscano. Prep time does not include allowing steak to come to room temp.
- 4 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and crushed rosemary)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (1 1/4 inch) sirloin steaks, center cut
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the spice mixture, making sure to crush mixture between fingers before adding. Take off heat and allow to infuse until ready to cook.
- Bring the steaks to room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
- Pre-heat the oven grill to 500F with the rack on the position nearest to the grill - it needs to pre-heat a minimum of 15 minutes to be really hot.
- Put the broiler pan in the oven to get it hot.
- Broil with the door of the oven slightly open otherwise it will cook the meat with the meat's humidity and it won't have the crispiness of a grilled steak. Depending on how you like your meat, cook for more or less time. Start checking after 5 minutes.
- While meat is broiling, warm the oil.
- Turn the steak over to grill the other side and allow to cook. Remove from the grill and put on the cutting board. Using a marinade brush, brush each steak with the oil until coated and then either slice the steak thinly or serve whole. Put each steak on warmed serving plates.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
I've tried this twice and I like it. The steak is juicy, tender and it sizzles. I've added it to my favorites.