Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I fiddled around with the original copy cat recipe until I got it where I wanted it and it tastes even better. Add more jelly and onion soup, if desired, but I found that more was too much.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (750 ml) jarragu original spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup grape jelly
- 1 -2 can mushroom, drained
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- Brown meat in oil.
- Drain and run under hot water to get rid of excess fat.
- Combine meat in a pot with rest of ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat;reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
I didn't cook this recipe, BUT Olive Garden's meat sauce has sausage. Always has.
They even has the little disclaimer (**Our meat sauce is made with with pan-seared beef and Italian sausage.) on their menu.
This recipe was quite the surprise! I must admit I was very skeptical as I shopped for the ingrediants ( grape jelly you say??) This is very, very good! I used sliced fresh mushrooms instead of canned ones and sauteed them separately in a little olive oil before adding them to the sauce. This is a keeper!
While I do really like this recipe, it is not Olive Garden's. In fact, it tastes almost nothing like it. For starters, OG puts Italian sausage in their recipe. Secondly, there are no mushrooms or bell peppers in theirs either. Like I said before, I like your recipe and I use it frequently, but let's be real about its origin.