Recipe by Manami
This was posted by dizzybreeze at recipegoldmine.com on May 4, 2001. Source Olive Garden Restaurants.
Top Review by Mary N.
This was great! I had a craving for bacon and pasta and since I never have good luck making the classic carbonara, I made this. I used green onions instead of shallots because that is what I remember being in the pasta when I worked at Olive Garden. I used canned mushrooms instead of fresh as well. Great stuff! Thanks for posting and bringing back some memories!
- 8 ounces mushrooms, with stems sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 5 tablespoons finely-minced shallots
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 24 slices bacon, cooked & sliced 1/2-inch strips
- 2 lbs spaghetti, cooked
- 2 teaspoons finely-chpd fresh parsley
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the olive oil to a heavy skillet over medium heat until fragrant, then add the mushrooms and shallots and saute until golden, not brown.
- Add the bacon strips, stir well and turn off the heat.
- Add the warm spaghetti and blend all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add the warm becahmel sauce, pepper, parsley and salt and blend thoroughly.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan.
- In a heavy non-aluminum pot, melt butter and flour and cook on moderate heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with wire whisk.
- Do not allow the roux to color more than blond.
- Add milk (no skim or low-fat) and bring to just below the boiling point.
- Remove from heat immediately and keep warm.