Recipe by Cook4_6
I had this appetizer last night and could not rest until I found a recipe for it! This is outstanding, you will love it!
Top Review by nmr1008
This is yummy!!! I was pleased that the texture was very much like Olive Garden's. Actually I think the texture was better! It stayed smooth and soft was a long time. At OG it sets up after awhile. Part of this could be because we used Smoked Gouda, Provolone, Mozzarella, and Parmesan.
We could not find smoked provolone or mozzarella but the Gouda was great! I love how you can do this in a casserole dish or individual. We threw in sun-dried tomatoes! Wonderful addition!
Makes a ton!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (such as ciabatta or semolina)
- 236.59 ml sour cream (Do not substitute light or fat free)
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 709.77 ml shredded mozzarella cheese or 709.77 ml smoked mozzarella cheese, cheese*
- 709.77 ml shredded smoked provolone cheese or 709.77 ml provolone cheese, cheese*
- 44.37 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 44.37 ml grated romano cheese
- 39.43 ml fresh diced tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Arrange sliced Italian bread flat on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Set aside until ready to use.
- Combine sour cream, thyme, red pepper, cayenne pepper and four cheeses in a large bowl and blend thoroughly.
- IF SERVING FAMILY-STYLE:.
- Spray an 8x10-inch casserole dish with pan spray, then use a spatula to transfer the mixture.
- FOR INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS:.
- Spray eight individual heat-resistant serving bowls, such as souffle cups, with pan spray and fill each with 1/2 cup of mixture. Place individual bowls on a baking sheet. Using a large spoon, spread cheese mixture to create an even surface.
- TO BAKE:.
- Place casserole dish or baking sheet with individual bowls on center rack in oven.
- After five minutes, place baking sheet with bread, still covered, on top rack in oven. Bake for an additional five minutes. Remove bread and fonduta from oven.
- TO SERVE:.
- Garnish casserole dish with diced tomatoes and parsley in center of fonduta or divide evenly among smaller bowls. Arrange bread slices around bowl(s) and serve immediately.
- *This recipe calls for one of these two cheeses to be smoked and one to be regular).