I had this appetizer last night and could not rest until I found a recipe for it! This is outstanding, you will love it!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (such as ciabatta or semolina)
- 1 cup sour cream (Do not substitute light or fat free)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 3 cups smoked mozzarella cheese, cheese*
- 3 cups shredded smoked provolone cheese or 3 cups provolone cheese, cheese*
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 8 teaspoons fresh diced tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Arrange sliced Italian bread flat on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Set aside until ready to use.
- Combine sour cream, thyme, red pepper, cayenne pepper and four cheeses in a large bowl and blend thoroughly.
- IF SERVING FAMILY-STYLE:.
- Spray an 8x10-inch casserole dish with pan spray, then use a spatula to transfer the mixture.
- FOR INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS:.
- Spray eight individual heat-resistant serving bowls, such as souffle cups, with pan spray and fill each with 1/2 cup of mixture. Place individual bowls on a baking sheet. Using a large spoon, spread cheese mixture to create an even surface.
- TO BAKE:.
- Place casserole dish or baking sheet with individual bowls on center rack in oven.
- After five minutes, place baking sheet with bread, still covered, on top rack in oven. Bake for an additional five minutes. Remove bread and fonduta from oven.
- TO SERVE:.
- Garnish casserole dish with diced tomatoes and parsley in center of fonduta or divide evenly among smaller bowls. Arrange bread slices around bowl(s) and serve immediately.
- *This recipe calls for one of these two cheeses to be smoked and one to be regular).