Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I received an email this morning with a few Olive Garden Copycat recipes in it. Here is one of them that I don't see posted on Zaar yet.
FOR THE SAUCE
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 ounce knorr newburg sauce mix (or similar)
- 1 (32 ounce) cancanned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE VEGETABLES
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, halved (or quartered if large)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons butter, for sauteing
FOR THE PASTA
- 1 lb fresh linguine (or quality dry pasta)
FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1 lb large shrimp, fully cooked, thawed and drained
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add remaining spice and tomato ingredients, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute vegetables about 3 minutes until crisp - tender. Add to the sauce and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Cook pasta according to directions. When pasta is almost done, stir shrimp into sauce to heat through. Do not boil. Spoon Primavera over hot linguine. Pass Parmesan cheese.
Update: Copycat comparison did not measure up but as a good recipe they all liked it and since I made a double recipe with 3 pounds of shrimp there was plenty for the second night.
I couldn't find Newburg sauce so I left it out. It was still fabulous and tasted very much like the Olive Garden version! My son (who tends to be a bit of a picky eater) even loved it. Thanks for the recipe!
I couldn't find Newburg sauce mix, so I used alfredo sauce mix.
It was an excellent pasta, colorful and satisfying. I'm not familiar with the Olive Garden version, so I can't say how close it is to theirs. But on its own, this is a really nice one-dish dinner that I will definitely make again.