Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I use shrimp and scallops only. I am unable to obtain crawfish and do not care for mussels. I also use this sauce with chicken & veal. Dh says this tastes like Olive Garden's Seafood Portofino.
- 113.39 g butter
- 113.39 g yellow onions, 1/4-inch dice
- 113.39 g rue
- 16 fluid ounce milk
- 473.19 ml heavy cream
- 56.69 g shrimp stock
- 1 fluid ounce Old Bay Seasoning
- 16 fluid ounce white wine
- 42.52 g garlic paste
- 1 fluid ounce olive oil
- 56.69 g mushrooms
- 170.09 g linguine, precooked (hot)
- 0.25 ml fresh parsley
- 113.39 g shrimp
- 56.69 g crawfish
- 56.69 g scallops
- 6 mussels
- Make the roux (heat vegetable oil on medium/high, add flour, stir continuously until oil flour mixture browns).
- If you see black flecks in roux it is burnt & you must start over.
- The amount of oil I used was equal to the amount of roux required by the recipe.
- For instance, the original recipe calls for 4 oz of roux.
- So 8 tbsp oil (I use butter) and 8 tbsp white flour.
- Set aside.
- Remaining roux freezes beautifully.
- Make shrimp stock.
- If you are using head on shrimp, set aside the heads and shells and boil with just enough water to cover.
- After boiling 10mins. Discard heads and shells and use the remaining shrimp stock in the amount required by the recipe.
- Melt Butter on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic puree cover but stir occasionally.
- After diced onions are sauteed add white wine and uncover.
- Turn up heat to high until boiling then back down to medium.
- Cook 5 minutes on medium.
- Now stir in roux and shrimp stock and Old Bay Seasoning. Cook 3 minutes.
- Now add milk and heavy cream.
- Turn heat on high just until mixture starts to boil.
- Turn on medium/low, cover stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, the Sauce is ready. I turned heat to low while I prepared the seafood.
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium flame.
- Put mushrooms in cook 30 seconds.
- Add mussels and cook 30 seconds.
- Add seafood.
- Cook 30 seconds.
- Flip cook 15 seconds more.
- Add portofino sauce 3oz.
- cook until bubbling throughout.
- Move mushrooms and seafood to one side of pan.
- Add linguine to other side.
- Using tongs, coat pasta with sauce. (mussels should be open).