Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this one on the Olive Garden website.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages (hot or sweet)
- 1 1⁄3 cups green bell peppers, seeded & cut into 1-inch x 1/4-inch strips
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian-style including liquid or 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup basil, fresh, chopped finely, firmly packed
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta or 1 lb ziti pasta, cooked according to package directions
- fresh parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Bake sausage links in oven for 20 minutes or until completely cooked. Cut sausages in half lengthwise; then cut into 1/2" slices. Result will be semi-circles of sausage. Set aside.
- Saute pepper slices in olive oil until their crispness is lost, but not soft.
- Chop tomatoes or use a food processor on "pulse"; do not puree tomatoes.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil, and fresh basil in sauce pan. Bring to a simmer. Add sausage pieces and stir well.
- Transfer cooked, drained pasta to a large serving platter. Top with sausage & pepper marinara mixture.
- Garnish with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.