Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is straight from the Olive Garden's website. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful. Posting it here so I don't lose the recipe before I get the chance to try it!
- 4 large firm portabella mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 16 small fresh mozzarella balls or 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup pimento strips or 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove any dirt from mushroom caps with a damp towel and place in a 9X13, tops down.
- Pour oil and balsamic vinegar over caps and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Flip caps over so the tops are up and bake caps in over for 8 - 10 minutes, (if there is any excess moisture, it will drain out of the mushroom when baking instead of pooling inside, causing the mushroom to become soggy).
- Cut mozzarella balls in half and place in a bowl. Add pimento or sun-dried tomato, olives, pesto, salt, and pepper, and stir. (For increased mushroom flavor, finely chop and saute the mushroom stems in olive oil and add to filling mixture.).
- Fill each cap with the mixture and drizzle with marinade. Bake caps for 8 - 10 minutes more, or until most of the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Mmmm, all the flavors of Italy!
This was soooo good. I had to omit the sun dried tomatoes (only because we didn't have any) and added fresh parmesean . It was soooo good.